9.9.02

Pop Quiz...


I had an interesting conversation the other day. A gentleman and I were discussing some of the more general points of foreign relations and the sort of broad, sweeping social issues that only crop up in a conversation between two people with absolutely nothing to say. This led, as such things are in these days, to a reprisal of the most unfortunate occurrences of last September in America. Specifically under consideration were the actions of certain exceedingly brave individuals aboard the jetliner which was, thankfully, brought down short of its mark. This turn of events, of course, due to the noble and selfless actions of men who decided to devote the last moments of their lives to saving those of the countless others that were being threatened that morning. My acquaintance--I call him that despite the fact that I could not, under duress, recall his name, and might well fail to remember him if ever I saw him again--was of the opinion that such is the only logical course of action. Being a professed devout Christian, he claimed to be more than comfortably assured of his ultimate outcome, regardless of what happened. But, further, he made it clear that he, as a man, considered it only natural to want to do anything and everything in one's power to thwart such evil as was at work in that situation (My words, very loosely paraphrased from what I recall of the discussion). Several others who happened to overhear gradually made so as to weigh their own views on the subject--isn't it amazing how a populous so universally regarded as apathetic toward social matters can suddenly so completely embrace a concept? Then again, maybe not so much...
Anyway, I don't mind saying that I agree fully and heartily. In such a situation, you're likely to die regardless of your actions, so you may as well make what's left of your life count for something, right? But then I started thinking, really thinking about it. And I had to ask myself: Are you certain? Would you rush headlong in the face of death to protect a bunch people you don't even know? Even knowing that, should you succeed or fail, you're going to die anyway? I'd love to believe that the answer is an emphatic yeas, but...
Sure, I realize that there are people in the world who do just exactly that every day. A great number of them lost their lives on the morning in question, much to the nation's sadness.
But would I? Could I?
I suppose that, unless I should ever find myself in that circumstance, I will never truly know.
What about you?



No comments: