31.8.02

St. Cynicus


I’ve always heard that a person should mind their actions carefully in the course of their day-to-day life, because God (or Santa Claus, depending on age at the time) is constantly watching. Being beyond childhood, I’ve abandoned Santa Claus as a potential threat to my happiness. And, being a staunch agnostic, I tend to look on God as more of an intellectual endeavor than a source of retribution. But occasionally I stop and reflect on something that I might be doing, and, just as a lark, ask myself whether God might approve. According to what I’ve been told of His nature and general disposition, this is doubtful, regardless of the activity. Despite my lack of any religious conviction whatever, this realization never fails to give me pause. But then it occurs to me: If God is all that he is purported to be, then there is not one blasted thing that I could possibly do, no matter how despicable or deplorable, to damage Him in any way at all. Thus, it should make precious little difference WHAT I choose to do at any given time, for all the harm I could cause. And, further, if He has the power to observe me, certainly it is also within His power to avoid doing so, should He find what He sees to be distasteful. So why am I going to so much trouble to pretend to be respectable?
Just a thought...

No comments: